Experts ponder mental health supports through COVID-19
By Talent Canada staff
On Sept. 15, Talent Canada and EHN Canada teamed up with some of the brightest minds in mental health to host a virtual roundtable event designed to give senior workplace leaders practical strategies to tackle this critical issue head on.
Moderated by Talent Canada editor Marcel Vander Wier, the event included the following expert panellists:
- Dr. Bill Howatt, CEO of Howatt HR Consulting and chief of research and workforce productivity at the Conference Board of Canada
- Mary Ann Baynton, principal of Mary Ann Baynton & Associates and co-chair for the technical committee that developed the National Standard of Canada on Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace in 2013
- Terri Marques, executive director of Bellwood Health Services.
The full roundtable session is available below. To access bonus content, visit our event landing page.
Questions responded to include:
- What steps or actionable strategies should managers be taking to improve their understanding of mental health in the workplace?
- What is the best way to ensure appropriate value is being experienced as a result of an organization’s mental health spend?
- How urgent is the need for workplace mental health solutions during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What advice would you share with employers in terms of implementing better mental health solutions specifically during COVID-19?
- What is currently best practice in assisting workers on issues such as increasing resilience or avoiding burnout?
- One of your employees has just come into your office to say she is stressed, anxious and burnt out. How do you respond in the moment?
Print this page