Top employers in Alberta building ‘durable’ workplaces: Richard Yerema
By Talent Canada Staff
75 employers honoured in 15th annual competition
By Talent Canada Staff
Top employers in Alberta, battered by a difficult economic climate, are taking the opportunity to build durable workplaces with forward-thinking HR policies.
That’s the story that was uncovered in the 2020 list of Alberta’s Top Employers, announced today by Mediacorp Canada — the company behind the annual Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition.
“Over the past number of years, we’ve been struck by the number of Alberta organizations that view today’s economic reality as an opportunity to build durable workplaces for the longer term, with human resource policies that work for their employees,” said Richard Yerema, managing editor of the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project.
75 employers make the list
This year’s list of winners comprises 75 employers that lead their peers when it comes to creating the province’s best workplaces and forward-thinking HR policies. The winning organizations come from a range of industries, both private- and public-sector, representing nearly every area of Alberta’s economy.
“We’re seeing a renewed focus by employers in the province on day-to-day improvements that make a real difference in the working lives of the people who work there,” said Kristina Leung, senior editor at Mediacorp. “Not big-budget or expensive programs, but practical initiatives — like helping employees balance their jobs with family commitments or making it easier for them to give back to the community — which other employers can emulate and improve upon.”
This is the 15th year Mediacorp has run the Alberta Top Employers competition.
Employers were evaluated by the editors at Canada’s Top 100 Employers using the same criteria as the national competition: (1) Physical Workplace; (2) Work Atmosphere & Social; (3) Health, Financial & Family Benefits; (4) Vacation & Time Off; (5) Employee Communications; (6) Performance Management; (7) Training & Skills Development; and (8) Community Involvement. Employers are compared to other organizations in their field to determine which offer the most progressive and forward-thinking programs. The annual competition is open to any employer with its head office in Alberta; employers of any size may apply, whether private- or public-sector.
And the winners are…
- Absorb Software Inc.
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation / AFSC
- Alberta Blue Cross
- Alberta Central
- Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis / AGLC
- Alberta Health Services / AHS
- Alberta Investment Management Corporation
- Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc.
- Alberta School Employee Benefit Plan / ASEBP
- Alberta Securities Commission / ASC
- Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund Board / ATRF
- Appeals Commission for Alberta Workers’ Compensation
- Arts Commons
- Beaver Municipal Solutions
- Bennett Jones LLP
- Bethany Care Society
- BluEarth Renewables Inc.
- Bow Valley College
- Calgary Airport Authority, The
- Calgary Co-operative Association Limited
- Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 1
- Canada Energy Regulator
- Canadian Pacific Railway Limited
- CapitalCare Group Inc.
- Capital Power Corporation
- Champion Petfoods LP
- Convergint Technologies Ltd.
- Covenant Health
- Duncan Craig LLP
- DynaLIFE Dx
- Edmonton Catholic Separate School District No.7
- Edmonton, City of
- Edmonton Police Service
- Edmonton Regional Airports Authority
- Enbridge Inc.
- Enerflex Ltd.
- ENMAX Corporation
- EPCOR Utilities Inc.
- Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
- Fiasco Gelato Cafes Ltd.
- Graham Group
- Hallmark Tubulars Ltd.
- Health Quality Council of Alberta, The
- Inter Pipeline Ltd.
- Kenway Mack Slusarchuk Stewart LLP
- Keyera Corp.
- Lafarge Canada Inc.
- Lakeland College
- Matrix Solutions Inc.
- Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd.
- NAIT / Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- NovAtel Inc., part of Hexagonf
- Olympia Financial Group Inc.
- Pason Systems Corp.
- PCL Construction
- Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- priMED Medical Products, Inc.
- Rogers Insurance Ltd.
- RS Energy Group Canada Inc.
- Silvacom Ltd.
- STARS / Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service
- Stuart Olson Inc.
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- Translational Research In Oncology
- Travel Alberta
- UFA Co-operative Limited
- University Hospital Foundation
- University of Calgary
- Western Economic Diversification Canada
- Western Financial Group Inc.
- Workers’ Compensation Board – Alberta
- YMCA Calgary
For more information on the winners, visit https://www.canadastop100.com/alberta/.
- New Brunswick’s minimum wage rising 20 cents an hour
- Fired cop walks out of board meeting in his underwear