Identity Crisis: Contractor Safety Impacts of SCC Sudbury Decision
January 12, 2024
Virtual Live Webinar
In a rare tie decision on November 10, 2023, the Supreme Court of Canada upheld an Ontario Court of Appeal ruling which makes “owners” liable as “employers” for potentially all safety violations on a construction project and more generally in contracted work operations.
This complimentary webinar is paneled by Jeremy Schwartz of Stringer LLP, co-counsel to the City of Greater Sudbury at the SCC hearing, along with Mark Hughes and John Murphy, seasoned OHS consultants from CrossSafety TRH Group.
Our panel will discuss:
- How we got here, including the accident and case history;
- A review of the SCC’s split decision;
- The potentially disruptive impacts likely to be felt across the sector;
- What “owner-employer” due diligence looks like post-Sudbury; and
- Practical guidance for employers and owners who procure construction and contractor services.
Visit event's website
Print this page