Health & Safety
Quebec publishes toolkit for employers as province prepares to open
By Talent Canada Staff
Government offers generic advice to all employers, and industry-specific information for manufacturing, retail and construction
By Talent Canada Staff
The government of Quebec has released a toolkit to help employers as the province begins to reopen for business amid the pandemic.
The COVID-19 Toolkit has been published online by the Commission des norms, de l’equite, de la sante et de la securite du travail (CNESST).
“The proposed measures must be adapted by the different sectors to their specific conditions to guarantee that operations can resume or continue under the safest and healthiest possible conditions,” it said.
It includes a “Quick Reference” document, akin to a checklist, to ensure employers are doing everything they should when reopening.
Toolkits by sector
The website features generic information for all employers, but has specific tools for the manufacturing sector, the retail sector and the construction sector.
The information for the construction sector is quite detailed. It includes information on:
- Ensuring workers are healthy when they arrive on the job site
- What to do when a worker has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- Return-to-work criteria for workers who contracted the virus
- Arranging work to facilitate social distancing
- Hygiene measures for construction sites
- Preventive measures when working in a COVID-19 contaminated area
- Use of PPE specific to COVID-19
- Dealing with virus-related stress, anxiety and depression
- Basic hygiene measures
The retail sector PDF has information on excluding symptomatic workers from the workplace.
It also recommended signs be placed at the entrances to retail outlets to remind about queues, terms of payment and the possibility of pre-ordering by phone or online.
It also offered suggestions around how work is organized, including:
- Reducing the number of workers and job rotation
- Not holding meetings that require a physical gathering
- Avoiding the sharing of any objects
The kit also includes a poster that promotes physical distancing, hygiene and rules that employers must follow. The tips, available in both French and English, include:
- Maintaining a two-metre distance at all times
- Using technology to limit physical contact
- Handwashing and sneezing reminders.
To see all the information available to employers visit https://www.cnesst.gouv.qc.ca/salle-de-presse/covid-19-info-en/Pages/toolkit.aspx.
- ‘What do we do with the kids?’: Daycare critical for reopening economy
- N.B. Green leader calls for exemptions for temporary foreign workers for farms